Do you hold a cosmetology license in the U.S.? Are you planning to advance in your cosmetology career this year? Wondering how to advance and grow in your cosmetology career? You are in the right place if you have been looking for tips to help you advance your cosmetology career.
This article will help you learn about ways you can advance in your cosmetology career and if cosmetology is a good career choice in the U.S., You will also learn more about the opportunities available for advancement in the cosmetology industry.
Is Cosmetology a Good Career in the U.S.?
When you consider starting a career in the cosmetology industry, it is essential to consider the scope of the industry. Cosmetology is one of the most booming professions in the world. Considering the fact that people have become beauty-conscious in recent years proves that cosmetology has a good scope.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities in the cosmetology industry are projected to grow by 11% between the years 2021 and 2031. Cosmetology job openings in the U.S. are about 93,800. The number of people getting cosmetology services has grown over the years; hence the demand for cosmetologists is also increasing.
Now that you are well aware of the scope of the cosmetology industry in the U.S. let’s discuss some of the tips that can help you advance in your cosmetology career.
Tips to Advance in Your Cosmetology Career
There is always a need to grow and advance in the profession you have chosen for better exposure and experience. After you have gained better exposure and experience, you have the opportunity to grow in your cosmetology career.
Some of the tips to advance in your cosmetology career are as follows:
- As a cosmetologist looking for career advancement, it is very important for you to make use of opportunities and chances that can help you grow in your cosmetology career.
- You can also do extra certifications and sign up for training programs that can add more value to your career advancement.
- Seek opportunities to showcase your skills as a cosmetologist and make sure to record and document them. This gives you the opportunity to add your works to your cosmetology portfolio.
- It is always good practice to learn new techniques and practices that are followed in the cosmetology industry from your coworkers and mentors. The exchange of knowledge can help you grow and advance in your career path.
- Monitor and keep track of your progress as that can help you understand the areas in which you need to improve.
- Keep in touch with coworkers, friends, and mentors related to the cosmetology industry. This can give you the platform to learn and share knowledge related to the industry and hear about the job vacancies sooner.
- Never stop learning new skills, techniques, tips, and tricks that are practiced by your coworkers and others in the cosmetology industry. Stay up-to-date with the techniques and practices currently being used in the industry.
Let’s discuss some of the opportunities you will have for advancement in your cosmetology career.
Opportunities for Advancement in Cosmetology Career
Having the right opportunity matters a lot when it comes to growing in your profession. As a cosmetologist, you need to make use of the opportunities you get to advance in your cosmetology career. Here are some of the opportunities for advancement in the cosmetology career that you can consider.
- Managing a salon.
- Owning a salon.
- Cosmetology Instructor or Educator.
- Service or product sales management.
- Image consultant.
Now, let’s discuss them in detail.
MANAGING A SALON
As a cosmetologist, you may also consider becoming a salon manager as the next step in your career growth. With managing a salon, you get the opportunity to learn and develop many management skills. Salon managers are responsible for hiring an employee, firing them, making sure the quality of service is maintained, and also responsible for inventory management. Salon managers earn an average salary of about $52,665 per year in the U.S.
OWNING A SALON
If you wish to become your own boss, owning a salon is one of the best career advancements that you can consider. Being a salon owner provides you the opportunity to have flexible working hours. Salon owners are also responsible for managing the salon and also making sure that everything goes smoothly. Salon owners earn an average salary of about $74,697 per year in the U.S.
COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTORS OR EDUCATORS
If you feel like managing or owning a salon is not your cup of tea, you can consider becoming a cosmetology instructor or educator. If you are someone who is interested in teaching, a cosmetology instructor or educator is one of the best career opportunities you can consider. Cosmetology instructors educate students on the tips, tricks, and techniques practiced in the cosmetology industry. They generally work in cosmetology schools, beauty colleges, vocational schools, or technical schools. Cosmetology instructors earn an average salary of about $48,999 per year in the U.S.
SERVICE OR PRODUCT SALES MANAGEMENT
If you are someone who is interested in sales or marketing, service or product sales management is a good career opportunity you can consider. These professionals are sales representatives at the salon who are responsible for selling the products to clients who visit the salon. Generally, they sell products such as conditioner, premium shampoo, cosmetics, skincare products, and other products related to skincare and haircare. Cosmetics sales representatives earn an average salary of about $71,465 per year in the U.S.
An image consultant is a trained professional who works one-to-one with clients to help them discover their personal goals in regard to beauty. They also help clients achieve their beauty goals. They provide services to improve the appearance of clients while training them in communication skills and enhancing their interpersonal skills. Image consultants earn an average salary of about $68,639 per year in the U.S.
As a cosmetologist, you must gain the required experience and exposure to excel and advance in your cosmetology career. Learning and equipping yourself with new skills every now and then from your mentors, coworkers, or friends in the cosmetology industry helps you stay up-to-date with the practices and techniques used in the industry.
If you are planning to take the cosmetology exam or know someone who is interested in becoming a cosmetologist, make sure to try out our free practice test to help you with the exam preparation process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What skills are needed to have a career in cosmetology?
Some of the skills required to have a career in cosmetology are as follows:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good time management skills.
- Good visualization skills.
- Excellent creativity and an open mind.
- Good knowledge about the products and services.
Why is cosmetology a good career?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities in the cosmetology industry are projected to grow by 11% between the years 2021 and 2031. Cosmetology job openings in the U.S. are about 93,800. The number of people getting cosmetology services has grown over the years. Hence the demand for cosmetologists is also increasing.
How do I become a cosmetologist in the USA?
Some of the steps to becoming a cosmetologist in the U.S. are as follows:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Should have a high school diploma or GED.
- Enrol and complete a cosmetology course in a state-licensed cosmetology school.
- Complete the minimum required practical working hours in the state in which you wish to apply for cosmetology licensure.
- Take the cosmetology state board exam and pass the exam.
- Apply for cosmetology licensure.