Are you someone who is planning to go to a cosmetology school in Washington? Do you want to know which are the top cosmetology schools in Washington?
If you say yes! (and yes, I can hear you!) then this article will help you decide which cosmetology school to choose and everything you need to know about them.
Let’s dive in to review and explore the top five cosmetology schools in Washington:
- Evergreen Beauty and Barber College- Everett
- Gene Juarez Academy of Beauty- Federal Way
- Paroba College of Cosmetology- Everett
- Aveda Art & Sciences Institute- Seattle
- Paul Mitchell The School- Richland
Evergreen Beauty College, Everett
Evergreen Beauty Institution, founded in 1996 by Thi Trieu and her husband, is an accredited beauty college. The college is accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences (NACCAS). Apart from this, Evergreen Beauty College is an active member of the American Association of Cosmetology Schools. All these certifications distinguish Evergreen College as an excellent educational institution.
Evergreen Beauty College is spread over six campuses. The campuses of Evergreen Beauty College are:
- Bellingham Campus
- Mount Vernon Campus
- Everett Campus
- North Seattle/ Shoreline campus
- Renton Campus
- Yakima campus
Evergreen Beauty and Barber College provides 6 courses. For the academic year 2020-2021, 597 students are attending the college. The College boasts a graduation rate of 85%.
The 6 major courses provided by Evergreen Beauty College
- Nail Technology
- Eyelash Extension
- Instruction Training
Admission Eligibility for Evergreen Beauty College
Admission to any Cosmetology school/college varies from state to state in the US. For admission to cosmetology schools in Washington state, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- You have to be above the age of 16 years old to be eligible to apply for cosmetology school/college admission.
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent certificate (GED). The evidential document should show the completion of the education or school attainment.
- You must provide a copy of your valid state residential proof or a Federally issued identification certificate.
- Along with all the aforementioned requirements, there is also a registration fee required before starting your classes.
After meeting the eligibility requirements, you have to fill the application form. The school will call the selected candidates for an interview for their respective programs.
One of the best features of this Beauty School is that they have several options to help you out in paying for your chosen program. They have a specific financial representative who will help you in every step of your payment process. Financial aids are available for everyone who is eligible.
The different financial aid options available in Evergreen Beauty college are:
- Washington State Need Grant
- Worker Retraining Grant
- Federal Pell Grant
- Private & Federal loans
- Various scholarships
- Sponsored programs by Industry Salon & Spa Inc
- Monthly payments
- 529 programs
Gene Juarez Academy of Beauty
Founded by Mr. Gene Juarez, the beauty academy was first established in 1987 in North Seattle. The aim of the first establishment was to provide top-class cosmetology education in the state. A few years later, the academy’s second branch opened in Federal Way. The institution has increased in size over the years, including several salon and spa facilities. The current location of the branch is located in Mountlake Terrace’s north campus.
Gene Juarez Academy of Beauty is accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences (NACCAS).
The cosmetology program offered by the Juarez academy is 1600 hours long. The approximate duration of the course is 13 months.
The course of the cosmetology program is broken down into four modules. The first module comprises 18 weeks. The primary focus of the academy is on hair and styling.
- Basic nail services
- Basic facial services
- Eyelash extension training
The classes are scheduled for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The class duration is from 8 am to 7 pm. Due to the pandemic, the education and class system is now a blend mode of online and offline classes. The classes started with distance learning and slowly transitioned to classroom practical training.
The admission eligibility requirements for Gene Juarez Academy are:
- All applicants should be at least 17 years of age.
- All applicants must have a GED or high school diploma certificate
- All applicants must qualify for the cognitive, communication, and physical requirements organized by the Academy.
Gene Juarez Academy of Beauty offers financial assistance and scholarships for all its eligible students. To help you in every step, their financial team is available all around the clock.
Different financial aid & scholarships are available:
- Gene Juarez Academy Scholarship- This scholarship is available to high school seniors. All qualified candidates will receive a $1,000 prize.
- Gene Juarez Employee and Family Scholarship- This scholarship is available to the employee’s family members & graduates from this academy. All those eligible will receive an award of $2,500.
- Alumni Family Legacy Scholarship- This scholarship is available to the immediate family of graduates from this academy. All those eligible will receive an award of $2,000.
There are other scholarships opportunities too:
- College-bound scholarship
- Beauty changes live scholarship
- American Association of Cosmetology Schools (AACS)
- Great Clips Scholarship
- Zenoti Foundation Scholarship.
Paroba College of Cosmetology
Located in Everett, Washington this college has been providing education and training for the beauty industry for many years now. Accredited by the NACCAS, the college boasts its hands-on training program, experience and exposure to different industry standards, and dedicated teachers to give their knowledge.
The duration of the cosmetology course is 14 months. This training program teaches everything from haircutting to designing to facial hair and manicure.
The duration of the barbering course is 14 months. In this duration the program teaches everything from haircutting (any gender), shaving, trimming, shampooing, scalp treatment.
Hair Design Course
The duration of the barbering course is 11 months. Among many things, the program teaches hair cutting & styling for both men and women, chemical texturing, coloring, iStraight Japanese chemical relaxing, and others.
The duration of the esthetics course is 7 months. The program teaches you about facials, hair removal, microdermabrasion, different makeups, etc.
Advanced Esthetics Course
The duration of this course is 4 months. This is the advanced level training course of the basic esthetics course. The program teaches you about laser techniques, peels treatment, lymphatic drainage, energy work, etc.
Master Esthetics Course
The duration of the Master Esthetics course is 10 months. Among many things, the program teaches you about electrolysis and other medi-spa services. This College has a Caddell’s laser to offer and train in this technique.
The certificate provided after this course is a Paroba Esthetics Certificate with advanced education which will boost your career.
Beauty Teacher Training
The duration of this course is 5 months.
The fees structure for the Paroba College of Cosmetology is:
|Name of the course||Tuition fees||Other cosmetology supplies|
|Beauty Teacher Training||$5,924||$601|
Aveda Art & Sciences Institutes
The Aveda Art & Science Institute started in 2005 and now operates in 10 states with 18 cosmetology schools. In Washington, Gary Manuel Aveda Institute (GMAI) is in Seattle providing excellent education and training in the beauty industry.
The course curriculum is such that it provides both theoretical and practical hands-on experience to all the students. The program involves the following sections:
- Haircutting & styling
- Various makeup applications and techniques
- Business development knowledge
- Retail and other marketing knowledge.
The course curriculum comprises all types of skin care techniques and applications including makeup application, waxing, etc. Once you complete the course, you will become a skincare professional. AVEDA boost of pure flower and wellness rituals with plants essence.
The fees structure of the Aveda cosmetology course is:
|Name of the course||Tuition Fees||Cosmetology & Book Supplies|
Paul Mitchell The School Richland
Situated at the heart of Benton County, Paul Mitchell School is a shining example of a world-class school providing knowledge in the beauty field. They have a wide range of courses available to choose from.
You can choose from two options to complete the course:
- They are providing an option to complete the program 25% through distance learning
- The other option is to opt for campus learning.
- Cosmetology programs- The cosmetology program is designed based on three levels: core, adaptive, and creative. These three levels help students to acquire all the knowledge step-by-step. To complete the course, the required school hours are 1600 hours. Student kits are available to every student. The cost of the tuition fees and total student kit is $21,495.
- Barbering programs- Students will be given lessons on different levels of learning barbering. The program is set in three different levels which will give the student a thorough education and hands-on experience. Student kits are available to every student. To complete the course, the required school hours are 1000 hours. The cost of the tuition fees and total student kit is $13,995.
- Esthetics programs-To become experts in skin care, the esthetics program includes all the skincare technologies and innovations. Along with the required skin care teachings, students are also given business lessons. To complete the course, the required school hours are 750 hours. The cost of the tuition fees and total student kit is $13,995.
- Instructor programs- Apart from the above-mentioned beauty course, this school also provides an instructor program, to ensure you become the next teacher and spread your knowledge into the world. The course emphasizes theory, student evaluation, examination evaluation, cosmetology state board examinations, etc. To complete the course, the required school hours are 600 hours. The cost of the tuition fees and total student kit is $3,000.
To make your education and degree, Paul Mitchell School provides scholarships and financial aid to all those who are eligible.
The different scholarships options available are:
- Beauty changes lives
- National scholarship campaign.
The other alternative funding options available to the students are:
- Federal Pell Grants
- Federal Subsidized Loans
- Federal Unsubsidized Loans
- Plus Loans
- Military loans
For online applications for admission to Paul Mitchell School, you can apply through this site.
What is the class schedule at Paroba College of Cosmetology?
The class scheduling at Paroba College of Cosmetology is very flexible.
Currently, classes are held three days a week.
- Monday to Wednesday, 8:00 a.m.–6:30 p.m
- Wednesday to Friday, 8:00 a.m.–6:30 p.m.
How do I apply for the Aveda Institute of Arts & Science cosmetology course?
To apply online to the Aveda Institute of Arts & Science cosmetology, visit the application through their official website. Start your application process by applying here.
Will I get financial assistance at Paul Mitchell School?
Yes, financial aids is available for all those who are eligible under scholarships & financial aids at Paul Mitchell School. You will be eligible under the following financial aids:
1. Beauty changes lives
2. National scholarship campaign.
3. Federal Pell Grants
4. Federal Subsidized Loans
5. Federal Unsubsidized Loans
6. Plus Loans
7. Military loans
READ ALSO Washington State Cosmetology Exam: Free Practice Test, and Everything you Need to Know