What are the issues cosmetologists are facing today? Are you wondering if cosmetology professionals face any issues or challenges in the industry? This article is all about the pros and cons of cosmetology and the issues cosmetologists are facing today. Read on to learn more about some current issues cosmetology professionals face.
What Is Cosmetology?
Cosmetology mainly focuses on making people feel and look good. It is the study of beauty treatments and the application of those treatments to clients. Cosmetology comprises many branches, namely, treatment for skin, hair, face, body, beauty therapy, and overall healthcare.
Top 9 Issues Cosmetologists Face Today
Every career has its own difficulties and there is no career choice that has zero problems. What really matters is talking about the issues and finding a way to work through them. As a professional in the industry, there are many issues cosmetologists face today. It is important to speak out about the challenges and issues cosmetologists face and find ways to deal with them. Here are some of the issues cosmetologists face today.
To procure a cosmetology certification, you must go to a school in your state that has been approved by the State Board of Cosmetology in that state. Generally, cosmetology schools are expensive. An individual may likely have to spend between $5,000 to $20,000 to obtain the certification.
Most states in the U.S. require professionals to earn a cosmetology certification before they can proceed with their licensure process. The State Board of Cosmetology Exam typically includes both practical and written examinations for licensure. The duration and the number of questions for the exam might vary from state to state.
Employers prefer hiring cosmetology professionals who earn a cosmetology certification and licensure. This narrows down the employment opportunities for people who have the required knowledge and skills but not the certification.
Adapting to New Techniques
This field also requires cosmetology professionals to adapt to new techniques that are used in the cosmetology field. As the cosmetology field keeps growing, the demand for professionals who are aware of the new techniques is also increasing.
Employers prefer hiring cosmetology professionals who are skilled and well qualified in the field, which puts more pressure on cosmetologists to learn new techniques currently used in the cosmetology field.
Choosing the Right Products
Cosmetology professionals can have a hard time choosing the right product for their clients. Every client’s requirement might vary, as can their style and preferences. This makes it difficult for professionals to figure out the best suitable product for the customer.
Keeping Up with the Trends
Cosmetologists and other cosmetology professionals are required to be aware of recent trends in terms of fashion and style. Hairstylists and barbers are required to stay updated about trending hairstyles, haircuts, and hair colors. Cosmetologists are required to be aware of trending looks in recent times.
Difficulty in Learning the Methods and Techniques
Cosmetologists and other cosmetology professionals can find it difficult to learn new methods and techniques being used by recently graduated cosmetology professionals. This makes them lag behind in terms of adapting to new changes that occur in the cosmetology field.
Exposure to Toxic Chemicals
Most of the time, not getting exposed to toxic chemicals is something close to impossible as a cosmetology professional. Coming in contact with toxic chemicals during the treatment process is unavoidable for cosmetology professionals.
Because of this, cosmetologists have a higher risk of having babies with low birth weight, asthma, cancer, and Hodgkin’s disease. The risks are higher if the salon offers pedicure and manicure services as well. Dyes with harsh chemicals also contribute to it.
There are also high chances of cosmetologists developing allergy symptoms when exposed to toxic chemicals that are harmful to their health.
Another big challenge or issue cosmetologists face today is customer satisfaction. It is really challenging to satisfy your customer with the kinds of services you offer. Sometimes it is difficult to get them to understand why you cannot offer them the style they really want.
Most of the time, stylists find it challenging to convince the client to try a certain style or look they suggest for them. Receiving a satisfying review from a client is a huge reward for most cosmetology professionals in the field.
Being Aware of New Products and Technologies
Another common issue cosmetologists face today is having knowledge about recently trending new products and technologies in the cosmetology industry. It is required to know the product and technology in and out before you use it for customers.
As the industry is growing, new technologies and products that work the best for customers are introduced. It is good practice to be aware of the products of other cosmetologists and salons. It is very important for a cosmetology professional to stay updated on the new products and technologies in the market. Being aware of new products that have good reviews is something that helps you recommend products that work better for your customers.
Most of the time, like a cosmetology professional the work might be a fast-paced and busy schedule, which might lead to stress. Cosmetologists need to do things to keep their minds fresh all day long. Working with clients, making efforts to market and grow their business or services, adapting to new techniques, working on growing customer loyalty, and standing for long periods to offer services to their customers can all be tiring and stressful as a cosmetologist.
If you are a cosmetologist, as well as a business owner, you will have to contribute more time to growing your business and building a steady clientele apart from offering services. Injuries caused by repetitive movements and stress can lead to work fatigue.
Tips to Avoid Facing Issues as a Cosmetologist
It is difficult to completely avoid facing issues as a cosmetologist in the cosmetology industry. But you can take some measures required to avoid facing certain issues that can be resolved by taking a few steps from your side. Let’s discuss some ways to avoid certain issues cosmetologists are facing today.
- Learn and develop your knowledge on things related to the industry. It is important to equip your knowledge and stay updated to be able to sustain yourself in the industry. Make some time once in a while to equip your knowledge and skills to learn new methods.
- As days roll by, the industry keeps growing. A growing industry paves the way for the evolution of new techniques, trends, technologies, and so on. It is essential to be aware of the new trends, techniques, and technologies that are being used in the industry currently.
- It is a good practice to have a consultation with your client before you start with the procedure. This offers the opportunity for the client to talk about their expectations and concerns. You may also make your suggestions which will help the client to understand and reconsider certain things that might be difficult to implement.
- Be aware of the skin types and how to find the right and suitable products for relevant skin types. You learn a lot from experience. Start by talking to your friends and family about their skin types, the concerns they have, what products they use, what works the best for their skin type, and so on.
- Learn to plan your day in a better way which might help you from being stressed out.
Pros and Cons of Cosmetology
Just like every other industry, the cosmetology field has its own pros and cons. Cosmetologists face challenges on a daily basis, which contributes to the pros and cons of the cosmetology industry. Here are some of the pros and cons of the cosmetology field.
- Cosmetology is a growing industry with many job opportunities.
- This industry provides you the opportunity to help people look and feel good while being a part of their happiness, which can give you the satisfaction of doing a good job.
- The cosmetology industry paves the way for a cosmetologist to be their own boss after gaining the required skills and knowledge in the industry.
- If you love interacting with people, then this is the right career for you. As a cosmetologist, every day you get the opportunity to meet and interact with many different types of clients.
- As a professional in the cosmetology industry, it really is a difficult task to satisfy your clients. Customer satisfaction is one of the biggest challenges faced by cosmetologists in the industry.
- The cosmetology industry requires professionals to have a cosmetologist, esthetician, barber, or nail technician license before they start practicing in the industry.
- This industry requires professionals to have the required qualifications and cosmetology schools are generally expensive.
- The professionals in the cosmetology industry spend most of their time on their feet offering services to customers. This can lead to pain in their lower back, legs, and feet.
Every industry has its own pros, cons, issues, and challenges. All that matters is if we talk it out and deal with them. No career is without challenges and difficulties. Not all issues can be resolved and not all challenges can be sorted out, but you can find a solution or a way out of it as long as you are passionate about becoming the best cosmetologist in your city.
Cosmetology like every other field has both pros and cons. All it takes is you holding on to your passion and dream of becoming a cosmetology professional. If you are interested in taking the Cosmetology State exams, you can check out our free cosmetology practice test to help you prepare for the exam more efficiently.